Fostering Workplace Empathy for Increased Productivity
Studies have shown many leaders throughout the world to be lacking empathy with their employees; however, those same studies show that when empathy is learned and applied in the workplace, productivity increases and relationships thrive. This half-day workshop will help participants develop and practice their empathy skills to have better productivity and better relationships at work.
At the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Understand the meaning of empathy vs sympathy.
- Learn habits needed to be perceived as empathetic.
- Learn ways to teach empathy in your workplace.
- Practice activities for teaching empathy and applying to teams.
- Analyze where your team is now with the concept of empathy and where you want to be in the future.
Session 1: Course Overview
Session 2: What is Empathy?
- Why is learning empathy important?
- Pre-assignment review
- So, what IS empathy?
- What empathy is NOT
- Job skills strengthened by using empathy
Session 3: How to Teach Empathy
- Talk about empathy
- Teach listening skills
- Encourage genuine perspective-talking
- Cultivate compassion
- Support global managers
Session 4: Activities to Teach Empathy in Your Workplace
- Curious George (or Georgia)
- Weekly highs and lows
- Check-in with your emotions
- Now it's your turn!
- The Stubborn One
- The Quiet One
- The Jester
- Off Base
- Bigger Issues
- The Chatterbox
- The Know-It-All
- The Whiner